Did you know about...?
UK NHS Patient Decision Support Apps
The United Kingdom National Health Service has recently launched a collection of free patient decision support apps which aim to improve the doctor-patient relationship.
In order to enable patients to reach a decision in partnership with their healthcare professional, it is important that they have access to information about the different treatment options and have the opportunity to work through the information and evaluate the risks and benefits when viewed in conjunction with their personal values and preferences.
This patient decision aid assists patients to progress through it in an ordered fashion, having a number of distinct elements to the decision making process which support the patient in reaching a provisional decision which they can then discuss with their healthcare professional.
Each of these apps have been created in conjunction with the BMJ Group. There are 12 apps available in this series (iTunes Link provided):
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) Testing
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Screening
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Established Kidney Failure
- Localised Prostate Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Stable Angina
- Osteoarthritis of the Hip
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee
- Lower Urinary Trat Symptoms
(text and image source)